Thursday, October 6, 2016

Barcelona, here we come!

I'm sitting in the airport typing this on my phone, so apologies in advance for any typos.

Before my phone becomes overloaded with Barcelona pictures and memories, here's a recap of this week.

It's felt kinda long, to be honest. I told my mother I felt like a housewife (something she thought was hysterically funny for some reason...), but really. Aside from homework and long classes, my week has felt like an endless cycle of shopping, cooking, laundry and dishes.



On Sunday, before heading to church, Ally and I headed to Green Park (the park we walked through when we went to Buckingham palace). It was a really beautiful day...and the falling autumn leaves made the New Englander in me smile. We procrastinated on reading for class and instead took these pictures.

Just as we were settled with our homework, we heard a marching band coming from Buckingham Palace and looked up to see a fairly large mass of people making their way towards the Queen's House. I looked at Ally and both of us decided that homework could wait. Haha.


It turned out to be just an ordinary Changing of the Guard, not a celebration of Her Majesty's return to the Palace (yes, we may have gotten a bit too excited), but it was a nice distraction nonetheless.
We did end up hitting the books again...but then were approached by an older man who wanted to give us his contact information to visit him in India. A little bit creeped out, we packed up our books once again (sometimes you just can't win!)

Later that afternoon, I stocked up on produce from the local Farmers' Market. I spent less than 10 pounds in total (definitely going to miss this aspect of London!)


Then I made make-ahead egg and hash brown meals for my busy mornings ahead (above).

After seeing a rather depressing play at the National Theatre for my London Stage class, I stepped out into this beautiful view of the River Thames. I use that word all the time...but the city is truly beautiful. Day and night.

Other than my classes and an assortment of field trips (I'm going to blog later with class-specific posts), I haven't been up to much. I had a lunch date on Wednesday with Amy, a college graduate I met at our Student Central fresher's fair. It was really nice to talk with an English native and fellow Christian. I'm looking forward to becoming involved in Koinonia, a Student Central club that Amy helps lead. Here's my delicious  very adventurous lunch (below).

Mashed avocado on toast with chia seeds and a carrot/radish/lettuce garnish/side. It was actually pretty good!

Enter Barcelona!

Thursday night, after class, we headed for Stockwell to meet our coach bus. 


We had a little bit of trouble figuring out which exact stop it was picking us up at. 

Anna deciphering the vague road map
And the bus was late, which made us (but NOT Anna) very anxious.
Me, Marisa, Zoe posing nervousness

    Us when we realized  Anna was right about the route

We made it to the bus. And we made it to the airport, too, where Melanie was waiting for us. 




Melanie's orange-flavored cookies that she bought at Sainsbury's but didn't like...they.were.so.good. 

"Leah will eat them. She likes everything." 

And one last picture. While exploring Stockwell, we found this place...

"Lucy First" 

 Yep, that was for you  Mom! 












2 comments:

  1. What was the depressing play, Leah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chekhov's The Seagull. Though it was definitely comedic as well! My London Stage class is awesome...you would love it. We analyze plays and then go to see them. I'm planning on posting all of them in one post at the end of the semester, but so far we've seen The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-time and will see The Entertainer, This House, and 1984 (There may be one more). Brilliant performances!

    ReplyDelete