Monday, October 3, 2016

Home of the Brave

I've been really lucky with my class schedule this semester because 1) I have a three day week which means 2) I have a four day weekend. My classes only meet once a week, but the downside of this is that they are really long (3 1/2 hours each). My professors are all awesome though, and give us breaks as well as taking us into London to visit museums, and immerse ourselves in the city for some hands-on learning. 

The ridiculously luxurious royal bed we saw in the Victoria and Albert museum (for my Crucible of London class)

My sociology class is great in this way. A few classes ago, we talked about social norms and learned acceptable behavior. As a little experiment, he sent us out to the Holborn tube station to purposefully break these norms on the condition we didn't do anything that "may hurt you, put you in jail, or get me fired" (direct quote). 


It felt way too much like therapy for OCD, but we got what he was looking for: a few British scoffs, several looks, and the general uncomfortable knowledge that you are contributing to the already-iffy stereotype of obnoxious Americans. Mission accomplished. 

Speaking of America:

Zoe and I are "thumbs-down" about the Americanization of Europe (and football in general).

To follow up with last week's lesson on Nationalism, we met the Sociology professor on Saturday for the "NFL on Regent Street" rally. Every year in October, two teams play against each other in London and people come from all over to experience "America" for day. It's meant to promote American football as well as American culture in general, but as my professor said, "they don't quite get it right". British people come wearing anything "American" they have: like a Yankees cap and a Boston Red Sox t-shirt, and wait in lines to throw a football through blow-up field goals. 



 "A taste of New York"

Some of my flatmates stayed for several hours (Claire and Kellie ended up competing in a dance-off and winning two VIP tickets and two regular tickets to the sold-out game!) but Zoe and I quickly got bored and ended up here instead:


New fun fact: Dutch pancakes are delicious.


And huge. Zoe ordered from the "sweet" menu and I from the "savory". I will definitely be coming back (Grandma, maybe when you two come visit??). 


It was a good day. 








1 comment:

  1. I shall add it to our itinerary. It seems to be growing, maybe we will have to stay longer!! Can't wait to see you!
    Love you bunches, Gramma Terry

    ReplyDelete