Saturday, October 1, 2016

"Home is not a place, it is a feeling." (Part Two)


I stayed overnight at the hotel on Friday and then Dad and I met up with Arcadia at Tower of London (literally 2 minutes walking distance from his hotel room). Arcadia staff pre-ordered tickets for us students, but ended up having enough left over to give Dad one. So we both got to tour the castle for free! :)

Two pretty crazy stories that took place here:
-Two little boys (heirs of the throne) were murdered by their uncle so that he could become king in 1483. Their bodies weren't found until 1674 (!) when some workmen in the Tower dug up a box and found the princes' skeletons (in the picture below, I'm standing on the steps up to the room where they were allegedly killed).
-After one particular king was beheaded (I don't remember who or why), the family realized that they had forgotten to have a royal portrait made of him. So they fetched a servant to go retrieve the head, had it sewn back on, and propped him up against a wall. The artist was given 24 hours to paint the portrait. The tour guide said, "if the King's stare seems a bit vacant, now you know why." Yeesh.

This ingenious method of keeping enemies out...utilizing high tide and low tide.

BEST view yet of Tower Bridge


Me attempting to be cool.



We then met up with Ally and the three of us walked around the London Bridge area. It was such a nice day and the view was beautiful:






The rest of the afternoon was made up of Ally laughing, me taking pictures, and Dad spoiling us. And by spoiling us, I mean really spoiling us. It was nice to not have to pay for anything all weekend! ;)


Afternoon Snack :)




Lunch at this really neat Mexican restaurant. The building was made out of storage container thingies (I don't know what they're called) pictured above. We ordered margaritas on ice...I was not exactly a fan (as you can see).

Exploring the park around the London Eye. So many street performers, too!
Then we headed back to the hotel to show Ally the beautiful view from the Sky Garden (and so Dad could change for an evening at the theatre!):


Bottom left: another view of where Dad and I went for appetizers the night before. Bottom right: Tower Bridge.


                        I have no idea what I thought I was posing for in this one (left).


While in Central London waiting for the show to start, we wandered around Piccadilly Circus and bumped into a big Malaysian festival:



And while we were there, I got to meet this brand new guy for the first time over Skype!

 

It was hard to hear Grandma due to the loud Malaysian music, but I'm glad they called!


And then it was time for Kinky Boots!!


It was truly an awesome day :)

The next morning, we had a yummy English breakfast at the hotel and Dad used his IT skills to fix my computer...(sort of):


And then it was off to Paris for him and off to another week for me!





































4 comments:

  1. Restaurant was made from shipping containers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you sure got your dad over there fast! So happy that you could spend some time together. I continue to hold you up in prayer. Love you. Cindy E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I did! Thank you I need and appreciate it! And congrats on a new daughter-in-law!!

      Delete