Monday, October 24, 2016

Football, Diwali Festival and Cheeky Nandos

For a sociological analysis on social class, my class went to a local football game (on Saturday, Oct 15th) to see the "lower class" in action. It was quite the experience:


I assumed English people wouldn't be as aggressive as Americans when it came to sports. Boy was I wrong. The home team fans and away team fans had separate entrances and the stands were separated by large barriers and security guards to prevent violence. They also weren't allowed to drink in the stands...alcohol is allowed during halftime but it has to be finished before going back in. I could see why; fans were screaming at each other-chanting things at eachother I won't repeat. And we were in the "family section", which is a little less intense than the hard core (read: more vulgar) fans. 


I was half expecting a national anthem of some sort before the game started...and then I was like, wait I'm not in America! That was kinda strange. They basically just started playing. Below left is the one ritual-y thing they did...a bunch of fans ran out onto the field and helped bring this tarp out (with the home game's logo on it). But other than that, it was all about the game.


"Thursday [class] Leah and Wednesday [class] Leah" before the game. aside from having the same name, we are so alike it kinda freaks us out. 

And this is a picture of the "quote of the day" board at Tottenham Court Road tube station. It almost always makes me smile when I pass through:
A little taste of home with Good Ol' Abe :) although I think this is a Mark Twain quote so...
So that was my Saturday! I won't get too academic on you all, but it definitely gave us a lot to talk about in class the next week. An interesting difference between the UK and US: social class is not based on money here. It has more to do with the way you talk, your surname, the way you dress, and the way you make your tea. It's not as fluid (you can't just become famous or make money and move up the chain like you can in the US). For example, Tom Hanks, a wealthy actor who would probably be considered of the upper class in America, is of low class here. Not because he isn't successful (he sure is!), but simply due to his name, the way he talks, and how he grew up). 

Example 2: These pictures I took (left) on the walk to the game and (right) on the tube on the way home.

 The "Chav sweatsuit" vs. The "smart casual" style of the upper class.

Saturday night I stayed in and worked on homework (yes, I promise I do actual work as well!) The next day I did the same...until later that night, when Jenn and I took a trip to Trafalgar Square for the Diwali Festival. We both needed to get out of the house!


So many people. It was very similar to the Malaysia Fest I went to in regards to its setup. Food, vendors, and performers on the stage in front of Nelson's Column.

My almost roommate :)
We only had nine pounds between the two of us in notes, so we had only enough for food, and couldn't not fresh coconut water (left). 

 But we learned a lot from the vendors...I talked to the lady who makes delicious spices (middle) and Jenn and this guy (right) talked about the benefits of yoga and meditation for several minutes.


We managed to snake through the crowds and get fairly close to the stage :)
Here's a video of one of the performers who sings in several languages:



And here's a video of this crazy-good street performer (outside of Trafalgar square and the festival) I've seen a lot of really good ones here...but this one blew my mind. He stayed so perfectly still while still balancing off the ground. WHAT?


And when we gave him a few pounds, he did this:



We got sort of lost on the way home, but used that as a way to do some sightseeing. And then I figured out where we were and was proud of myself because I knew where the nearest station was! :)


 Big Ben + Sunset = Perfection



And one last picture because I was excited about this billboard. I honestly don't remember why: 


On Monday (last day off of the weekend), I spent the day working  procrastinating on homework until Claire and I left for the center. Neither of us have class on Monday, so we've made it a tradition to go into the city when rush hour is headed the opposite way. We work on homework until the Arcadia centre closes at nine, and then head to Nando's across the street from the school. 

From last week:

This week:

Next week I'll explain the phrase "Cheeky Nandos". It's a British thing that I don't fully understand as an American :) But the tradition has been a fun one...and it makes for a (relatively) fun Monday!

Me feeling like those TV geniuses (above): ferociously outlining my essay on a napkin because I "just can't find a piece of paper fast enough". Not so genius: the fact that the essay was due the next day. Whoops. Claire and I both pulled an all-nighter that night. 

Creepy face in the grocery store because this much ice cream is a necessary evil for sleepless evenings
At six in the morning the next day, we decided we might as well get ready for school and beat the traffic to get to the centre. So we got to see the sunrise on our walk down the hill!



We got to Arcadia and Claire looked at me and said, "Doesn't it feel like we were just here?" Haha. 


But I don't recommend it..I nearly fell asleep in class on Tuesday. I was in Holborn until 5:30 and then had to go to see 1984, the play, for my London Stage class at 730. I didn't get home until 10ish that night. Here's me (above) asleep in between class and the theatre. Out cold. 


Wake up cuz next up is: Grandma and Grandpa come visit!! Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment