Monday, October 10, 2016

La Ciudad (Day 2)

(Saturday, October 8th)

After doing some research before we left, I had a rough list of things I wanted to do while in Barcelona. So the night before, Anna and I planned a general schedule for Saturday, and I'm proud of us for truly making the most of our time!

1.) Wake up early and reserve the bikes.

We did it! We were ready to go by 8 o'clock, despite the fact that no one was up. A typical day in Spain is much different than the U.S. No restaurants were open this early in the morning. Fun fact: Spain has been in the wrong time zone for 7 decades. During World War 2, dictator Francisco Franco set the time to be in line with Nazi Germany. It makes no sense geographically, but still remains and Spain is late-to-bed and late-to-rise. 


We finally found this one that was open:

Coincidence? I think not. 

We were the only customers in the restaurant. After a satisfying avocado omelette, I was ready to start sightseeing. 

2.) Visit Boqueria Market on Las Ramblas (street) and try at least one of the famous fruit juices. 

It took a little bit to get there on our bikes, but it was totally worth it! I could spend forever there. 


Before heading into the market, I saw this group of Spanish ladies decorating the road in an almost mosaic-ly design using cut up flower petals, salt and dyed flour. They were promoting something but I couldn't quite figure out what because the pamphlet was all in Spanish. I did talk with one of the women, who made a joke: "take picture: one euro" and the rest of the women laughed. They appreciated the attention and my interest in what they were doing (I think, anyway!)


Then we went into the market. Oh, the colors!! It's a photographer's heaven. 



It reminded me of high school Spanish class. It's weird. I knew the pictures in my text book were of real things, but this felt real. It was neat because, despite the tourism, it was definitely a place that locals frequented all the time. 

This woman skinned and chopped up this fish faster than I've ever seen, only pausing to wipe off some blood that splattered on her face. At the same time, she carried a conversation with the local man who ordered it in rapid Spanish and I tried not to stare in fascination.



(Left) Zoe and Anna trying some strange fruit (forget the name), (Right) Zoe grossed out by the live crabs moving on the ice. 

I had read to wait until going further into the market to buy the fruit drinks (they were everywhere, but only 1.50 in the booths further in). The drinks are pure fruit: no sugar and no water. There were so many different combinations it was difficult to choose. I ended up having Blackberry & Coconut. 

Absolute perfection. 


Some other absolutely beautiful presentations:

Sweets and candies galore!



Some sweets decorated to look like McDonald's and other American food. Do they really think that's all us Americans care about? Maybe so. (I guess I'm guilty because it got our attention and I took a picture!)

3.) Observe the architecture, especially the cathedrals.

Last week in my ECA (Environments, Communities and the Arts) class, my professor specifically mentioned the architecture in Barcelona and told us that sometimes in our lives, we should check it out. I made a mental note to do so!

We saw this church as we were leaving the market. I'm mad at myself because I forgot to bring a sweater to go over my dress, and thus wasn't allowed into the church to see the architecture on the inside. Next time! But here's some pictures of the outside. 


The woman on the left was playing a version of  Canon in D and it was soo nice to listen to!

We continued wandering around until around 11:30 (we were meeting Mel and Nick at the Bed and Bike at noon). 





I happened to witness a man getting arrested as someone was being lifted into a stretcher in an ambulance. Reminded me once again to be aware of my surroundings! Not ten minutes later, I tripped with my bike (for the second time), and was approached by two police officers who didn't speak any English. Fun stuff. 

4.) See some Gaudi's work, including the famously unfinished Sagrada Familia.

The groups of us split up once we got back to the Bed & Bike. Mel, Nick, Zoe and I decided to head towards the Sagrada Familia. It's truly massive. SO detailed. And crazy unique. 



Pictures don't do it justice. The top right picture shows how large it is compared to the poeple waiting in line to go in. Construction started in 1886 and is still ongoing. The architects predict it will be finished in 2026. (Hey, what's 10 more years??) I would've loved to go inside, but we didn't quite have enough time and it was fairly expensive. Next time!

Park Guell was next on the list of Gaudi's work. But it took awhile to get there, and we made quite a few stops along the way. So to keep it chronological...

5.) Do random, unplanned things. 

Yes, this was on my list :) And we definitely did!

 I really had to go to the bathroom along the way, and the only option was to stop at a Cafe along the way. I found this one, but I felt awkward because I was the only customer. The lady, in her late 70's, looked expectantly at me for me to tell her what I wanted. I felt like I couldn't just use her for her bathroom, so I fumbled around, trying to see something small I could buy while also trying to come up with a way to politely ask where the bathroom was. Oh man, was it awkward! She asked me if I lived in Spain or if I was a tourist. I said, "No I'm just visiting. Can you tell?" (awkward laugh). She raised her eyebrows in response. (sigh).



I ordered a pastry and dashed for the bathroom while she got it ready for me. Then I sat down and ate as quickly as I could (a shame, really, cuz the place was cute. But my friends were waiting for me across the street). 


Ice cream for lunch :) Melanie ordered for us in Spanish, but the server did speak English. (It was a pretty touristy area-as you can see by the McDonald's next door!)

Last but not least, my FAVORITE RANDOM THING WE DID:


As we were biking up the looong hill to Park Guell, we heard cheering coming from this stadium. We decided to park the bikes and check it out. It turned out to be the beginning of a local football match. (My guess is the players were in 6th grade or so). It was so neat to be part of their culture: to watch the players (who were AMAZINGLY talented) and also the parents, who continually chanted some chant in Spanish that I didn't understand. It reminded me of Brookside Park Saturdays in Ellington, except on a much larger scale. 


We stayed for the start of the game and to see this girl score two goals (aka the only two goals). She was the only female player, so we chose her team to root for. She was awesome...and the yearbook editor in me was excited to get this shot :)


Two little kids (siblings of players, I'm assuming) were playing on the sidelines and were SO. ADORABLE. I had no idea what they were saying to each other, but their innocence and excitement had me missing my cousins a bit. 


Mischievously taking the corner flag off the post..putting it back...and then looking to make sure he didn't get caught :)


We had to leave early to make it to Park Guell, but I definitely was a little bummed we didn't get to watch the whole thing. It was such an unexpected, non tourist-y thing, but I think it was my favorite Barcelona memory.



6.) Make it up to Park Guell for sunset. 

We didn't get to be there for sunset, but it was certainly beautiful nonetheless (and worth the bike ride walk with our bikes up!). The park was free, but the main tourist attraction (Guell's mosaic) wasn't, so we just hiked up and had a view of the architecture from the distance. 








The view from the top was amazing!

And I even managed to convince Melanie to take a serious picture of us. Can't wait to go to Venice with these three!


As expected, there was a neat gift shop:


Thought of you, Auntie!


Building overlooking the view in typical Gaudi fashion :)


The best part about riding up a hill is that it's downhill on the way back! We had a blast coasting through the intersections (which are strange, by the way: there are parking spaces along the perimeter of every intersection):


7.)  Don't spend too much money (so I can go somewhere else next weekend!)

Zoe, Marisa and I found a Japanese restaurant that was so nice. Less than 10 euros per person, and you pick any four dishes from the menu. Yes please!




I love me some sushi and duck!

It was definitely strange to have Asian waiters who spoke Spanish. (They probably speak Japanese, too, but that wouldn't have helped either. haha). Moment of understanding: "Can I have, um, agua?" "Si, aguaaaa." He ended up giving us the pad of paper and having us write down the numbers of the items we wanted.

Zoe refers to me now as AGUAAA. 

And that was my Saturday! There are still several things on my list that I didn't get to do (including the Picasso museum, Flamenco Dancing, and Sanderman's free walking tours). But there's always next time!!


Front row = leg room = sleep :)

We left Sunday morning at 4:45 to make an early plane flight...and after a few bumps in the road, made it back to London around noonish. As Mel and I stepped out of Archway station, I had this overwhelming sense of happiness and my first thought was, I'm home! Such a strange thing...this place I've been in for just over a month has become home. And it took a small getaway trip to fully appreciate it. It's good to be back!

And now it's time to hit the books! :(


4 comments:

  1. Hey Leah! Just stopping by to say Hi! Thanks for all your stories and pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just got a shout out in this posting! Beautiful! Love it love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salvador Dali clocks and Mickey characters...its a shout out to both Aunties!

    ReplyDelete