Monday, September 19, 2016

Back at Square One

Today, I decided to set out to study at Senate House Library (the library with the comfy sofas). A few days ago I did this, but wasn't prepared to stay long, and didn't have my books with me. [Add in the fact that my UK phone kept buzzing. And I had no idea how to turn it off. And the room was full of people who were completely silent. And the "turning off" alert is even louder than the text alerts.] I left after just a short time. But this time, I planned to stay several hours.

I knew the library was several blocks away from the Arcadia center, so I planned to head to take the tube to Holborn Station (located on a corner of the street just across the center. So I set out in an organized fashion. I packed my assignments, my laptop, and even some snacks. Walked all the way to the station. Stood patiently on the escalator for the Picadilly line. And arrived at Holborn. Once there I patiently waited for tourists who were surrounding the city map, and instead admired the flowers for sale in the adjacent booth. Feeling like a true Londoner, I casually looked at the map, snapped a picture of it to reference on my phone if I needed it, and turned away. Then I set out for the library. 

Fifty-three minutes later, I found myself facing the back of a very familiar flower booth.

I had circled around in a perfect loop just south of the Arcadia center, completely unaware that I hadn't been going straight. Not only had I gone in circles, but I had circeld the wrong way: The Library is a few blocks north of the center. I had walked in an entirely opposite direction.  

Nothing like a little humility-check for this novice Londoner!

Nevertheless, I had a very restful and reflective walk. Here are some pictures:

Again, really old buildings next to brand new, sleek ones.


 I found a really beautiful park called Lincoln's Inn. I ended up sitting under a tree and managed to get some of my reading done.


And that's been my Monday so far. Rather than chancing another walk to the library, I decided I'm going to finish the rest of my homework at the center. I've had enough exploring for one day :) 









No comments:

Post a Comment