Sunday, September 11, 2016

Bits 'n Bobs

Things are going pretty well here across the pond. Classes start tomorrow, so we've all been busy trying to soak up as much of the city as we can before the homework hits. Here's a bunch of random pictures I wanted to share in no particular order (Disclaimer: it's a bit lengthy).


Here's the entire FYSAE group (Scotland and London students) posing at Arcadia the day before departure. I am fourth from the the right in the front.




Back in London, here's [top row] the front of my building, my *sigh* bay window next to my bed, and a street view of our little neighborhood in Highgate. Ally [middle row], is my non-directionally-challenged friend. That's her leading me up our street and at the tube station: "To Highgate". And lastly, [bottom row], three landmarks I pass every day on the way to Archway station:  a traditional mail drop-box (3 mins), a really nice pub (8 minutes) and a local restaurant. (10 minutes). The mail guy manually changes the date on the mailbox every day. The owner of the pub gave a group of us dinner on the house because we "must be starving students". And on the day we went to the restaurant it was understaffed, so the bartender wouldn't take my order until the rest of the orders were filled (about 45-60 minutes). Once I ordered, my burger came out in less than ten minutes. Much different than at home, when the waitress takes your order and then you wait! Lest I forget any of these interactions with the local people, my 16 minute walk to Archway is full of reminders.  



 I forgot to put a picture of my room in an earlier post, so here's a picture from when Lennon, who lives in the next flat over, stopped in. I was feeling sick, so she brought me Nutella and Kinder chocolate. If you haven't heard of the company before, it's because their chocolate eggs are banned in the U.S. (they have potential chocking hazard toys hidden inside). The other goodies they make are dee-lish-ous. I insisted we take a photo (yes, I've turned into my mother!) to document the moment because she's the best. 


While on the topic of my room, here's my bulletin board I made using the London maps we got during orientation. Nothing like DIY for less than a dollar pound :)


As I type this, it's been exactly a week of being a Londoner. There are two important things I've learned. 


and


 Oh, and if on the way to school, the tube randomly decides not to stop at Morden, the nearest stop is Covent Garden. Be prepared to climb its spiral staircase of 193 steps (equivalent to 15 stories).

 That was a blast. 

The rest of my learning this week has been more traditional. We visited the British museum, studied ethnographics of London and toured Highgate Cemetery (Who would've thought I'd live a few blocks from the resting place of Karl Marx?)

Here lies a philosopher who believes in the idea of a classless society. His burial site is huge and stands out among the rest. Irony much?

On Thursday 8th September, we went to Senate House Library to get our library cards. Because Arcadia doesn't have a campus here, our primary resource is this library in the University of London. They hold more than three million books. Boy, did I luck out; the psychology books are housed in this room:
"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about?!" -Anne Shirley

Thursday night we went to see Matilda The Musical at Cambridge Theatre. It was sooo good. I spent the majority of the time gazing in awe at the sets and choreography. Looking forward to my London Stage class...five upcoming theatre productions are anxiously waiting my attendance!



And that's been the week so far. I'm going to save this weekend's festivities for my next post. But here's one last picture: 

When you think you're cool because you have a UK flip phone.

I harldy know how to text on this thing! But hey, it works for emergencies :)

Thanks for reading! 
Leah

4 comments:

  1. Keep them coming....Marx burial site surprisingly big

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your documenting you stay there and that your having such a good time. Super jealous you have access to that large a library. Maybe I can convince Kev that London is worth visiting. Eagerly awaiting the next installment. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your documenting you stay there and that your having such a good time. Super jealous you have access to that large a library. Maybe I can convince Kev that London is worth visiting. Eagerly awaiting the next installment. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just catching up to your posts! Looks like your first week was pretty amazing! I'd be so excited about the theater productions, too! And the chocolate!! The spiral staircase, not so much!! Stay safe, enjoy, and continue to post!!

    ReplyDelete